- Wide variety of skills and interests. Breadth without sacrificing depth.
- Experience in lead design role for several software projects.
- Proven corporate experience in design, development, deployment and support of end-to-end publicly-released e-business solutions and small-to-medium networks.
- Social network marketing experience. Digital media production experience.
- Strong communication, collaboration and leadership skills.
- Open-source contribution experience.
- Consistent proponent of technical standards and accessibility.
- Government-certified bilingual (English & French).
- RCMP Top Secret security clearance.
Honours Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
University of Ottawa, Faculty of Engineering (SITE)
- Graduated cum laude with a focus on computer networking, security, and systems.
- In addition to the standard requirements for the degree, successfully completed several post-graduate level Computer Science courses.
- Final semi-independent engineering project involved the implementation of APPEL/P3P, a W3C security-related set of standard candidates for defining and protecting users privacy, in the Mozilla Firefox open-source browser.
CompTIA A+ Certification
The New Standard on Web Accessibility: WCAG 2.0
Programming Languages and Systems
- Java (7 years)
- Python/Perl (4 years)
- C/C++ (3 years)
- Visual Basic/.Net/C# (7 years)
- x86 Assembler (1 year)
- OpenGL/DirectX (1 year)
- Distributed/Parallel (1 year)
- Real-Time Systems (1 year)
- OS API Layer: Win/Linux (1 year)
- Open-Source Collaboration (1 year)
Internet Application Development
- HTML, XML, XSLT, CSS (10 years)
- PHP, ASP, JSP, ColdFusion, CGI (9 years)
- AJAX Architecture (5 years)
- SOAP Programming (2 years)
- Content Management Systems (7 years)
Database Design & Management
- SQL (9 years)
- DBMS: MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, PostGreSQL, etc. (9 years)
- No-SQL: ElasticSearch (1 year)
- Database Design (9 years)
- Performance Optimization (5 years)
- Data Migration (3 years)
- Reporting (9 years)
- Network Design & Admin (10 years)
- OS Admin: Linux (7), Windows (12), OSX (3)
- Virtual Machines, Vagrant, Docker (1 year)
- Hardware System Design (9 years)
- IT Support (3 years)
- Graphic Design (13 years)
- Digital Photo Editing (13 years)
- Digital Audio Editing (13 years)
- Digital Video Editing (6 years)
- Photography (9 years)
- Cinematography (4 years)
- Live Audio/Visual Support (6 years)
- New Media & Social Networks (3 years)
- Communication: I place emphasis on thoroughness and clarity. I maintain rigid grammar, spelling, and accuracy in written communication.
- Project Planning: For example, I have been lead developer on many hardware/software systems, and have directed complex film/video shoots.
- Teaching/Training: I have experience in many capacities, from teaching infants to swim, to teaching adolescents to program video games, to training adults in aspects of forensic investigation.
- Management: Multi-tasking and dealing with high levels of stress have been central to most jobs I have ever had; in fact, I enjoy such an environment.
- Adaptability: I enjoy new challenges.
- Cooking: I like to bring healthy home-cooked lunches to work, so that I can eat at my desk without interrupting my work. I share baked goods!
... And More
- Film & video producer/director.
- Volunteer Head Mechanic and board member at the Re-Cycles co-operative community bicycle shop.
- Woodworker and general tinkerer.
- Soccer, ultimate, volleyball, hockey, innertube water polo player.
- Orange belt jiu-jitsu student.
- Weekend adventurer.
- Proud year-round cyclist.
- Low-key pragmatic environmental advocate.
- Engaged citizen.
Software Developer, Network Operations Team (August 2013 – Present)
- Leading a small software development team to produce an integrated network operations web portal (~CMDB).
- Automated network operations reporting and alert development.
- Media and technical support for marketing team.
- Engaged in administering RFP selection process for numerous high-value contracts.
Web Programmer (July 2011 – August 2013)
- Internet and intranet web development. Web accessibility upgrades.
- Client support for secure PDF distribution apparatus.
- Awarded distinguished new employee of 2012, Canadian Codes Centre.
Web Programmer, Designer, and Administrator (March 2011 – May 2011)
- Worked 12 hours per day, 7 days per week during the federal election campaign.
- Duties included web programming, Drupal CMS-based programming and admin, web design, graphic design, social media consultation, video production, website technical support, volunteer management, and direct campaign involvement.
Forensic Software Developer (November 2008 – November 2010)
- Lead developer of several electronic-forensic and covert intelligence-gathering software applications, and the supporting infrastructure therefor.
- Role has included requirements analysis, implementation, testing/validation, and support.
- Projects included stand-alone, client-server and web applications.
- Worked with investigators to provide technical support for covert investigations.
Partner, Director, Producer, Video Engineer (February 2009 – Present)
- Dawghaus Studios: a full-service video production company, specializing in cultural and benevolent issues.
I.T. Co-ordinator (February 2006 – May 2008)
- Upgraded e-commerce shopping cart with new AJAX-based user interface features.
- Realized a 99% reduction in website downtime, and improved response times.
- Designed and maintained secure e-commerce webserver and corporate network.
- Independently implemented several business efficiency optimization systems, resulting in 200% employee efficiency, and improved end-user service satisfaction.
Equal Partner and Co-Founder (2000–2007)
- Focussed on technical research and implementation details for many website and software projects, including several custom ground-up Content Managed websites.
- Gained experience in all aspects of small business operation.
Instructor (Summer 2004, Summer 2005)
- To be the worlds best at teaching game programming to kids and teens.
- Instructed students aged 12-17 in 2-D Visual Basic, 3-D C++, Java applets, mathematics, and physics.
Tailored Qualifications & References available upon request
- Ryan Davies